What is it?
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) utilizes the administration of Testosterone – a male sex hormone which is important for developing all the characteristics associated with the male gender. It is associated with regulating sexual reproduction, strength, energy, muscle mass, hair growth, male reproduction and the processes of puberty.
Some symptoms of Low Testosterone are:
- Weight Gain
- Reduced sex drive.
- Difficulty sleeping
- Loss of muscle mass and decreased strength
- Erectile dysfunction
- Depression, irritability, and inability to concentrate
- Bones becoming prone to fracture
- Fatigue and decreased energy levels
Approximately one out of four men over the age of 30 have low testosterone.
Testosterone is measured in ng/dL (nanograms per deciliter), where low testosterone can be defined as 300ng/dL of total testosterone and the upper normal limit is approximately 1000-1200ng/dL.
In the normal developing male, testosterone levels will peak during early adulthood. Once you reach age 30, testosterone levels will slowly decline by approximately 1% a year. This is considered normal in the process of aging.
How we can Help:
If you have symptoms that resemble low testosterone, we do a comprehensive blood test which is covered under most insurance plans. This will help us determine if you have low testosterone, but it will also tell us if there are any additional health concerns that could be causing your symptoms. From there, treatment options include:
- Testosterone replacement therapy which gives specific doses of testosterone typically via injection in order to replace the testosterone that your body is not producing.
- Assist you with a recommended diet, exercise, and nutritional supplementation plan in order to assist your body in producing and utilizing its own testosterone more efficiently.